new sketches... and some masters!

...are up in my sketch book blog, otherwise not too much is goin' on. Expect another bike/commuting related post soon.

On that note, I want to take a moment and highlight a few of my favorite artists.

As a preface, I have to come out and say that, though I am and have been a student of the arts for much of my life, I am woefully under-informed as to a lot of artists -- both contemporary and historical. Now this is not to say that I know nothing about Art History, just that I have spent more time trying to create art than learn about it's lineage.

Without further ado...


John Singer Sargent
 I am not sure when or where I first noticed Sargent's work -- but it has been many years. I guess that his style is considered Realism, but it certainly is influenced but the expressionist movement. At first glance, his work can seem a bit stodgy -- but upon closer inspection his style shines and you can see these lovely and bold strokes of light and color which seem to depart form the super-smooth and (in my opinion) boring works of earlier in the 1800s





 

 




Edward Hopper



 

 


Norman Rockwell



 

 


Alphonse Mucha 
What can I say about Mucha? Of all the artists here, I have probably been aware of, and a fan of his work the longest... I love the Art Nouveau aesthetic and always have. It is a bit unfortunate that, in this day and age, people see fit to just copy his works over and over again, rather than expand upon it...






 

 




That's all folks! ;)


Comments

Popular Posts