a bit out of chronology...

...but I realized that I had not been posting the process of my most recent painting. As I was held up in my apartment fighting the Great Dragon Cold of 2010 and not going outside, nevermind not going to work or school for nigh on a week, I painted... for the worst days of the illness I did nothing... but as I began to feel better I started painting this sketch that had been sitting dormant on my drafting table for the past few weeks...


first a little color... 

 
...then a little more...


Now, for those of you who may wonder about my "process"... I am not really sure that I have a process... I guess you could say that I paint more on feel rather than following a strict regimen of stages and steps… when a painting feels like it's done enough, it's done enough; when it says, "okay, it's time to let go a bit… come on, let loose!" it's time to do just that!


I must admit that it is a very different process to my drawing, as I am usually more exacting and precise in my graphite work... But that is also something that I have been trying to -- not necessarilly break away from -- loosen up a bit with… I think that a lot of my most recent pencil work shows a greater level of freedom and abandon where older work was more rigid. 


Though there is a greater amount of looseness to my recent pencil work (and I think that this is greatly as a result of the calculated chaos of my watercolor style) I think all of my graphite work is more organic than technical... hmmnnn... why the heck am I talking so much about my pencil and not about my painting when that is what I am showing? Meh, who knows... 

I guess it's all related like some artistic double helix or Ouroboros, always flowing, circling, and interweaving into and around itself...


...so what do you think so far? it's just about done...

...I think ;)

Comments

Popular Posts